How to spice up your writing
When writing your answer for Academic Writing Task 1, use a wide range of structures and vocabulary to help make your answer read better (e.g. use verb + adverb AND noun + adjective to give the response more variety – The price rose dramatically / there was a dramatic price rise). Here's an exercise to help you turn adjectives into adverbs.
Now try and convert these examples:
- There was a significant fall in the price of oil in 2014. ___________________________________________________
- There was a dramatic increase in unemployment last year. ___________________________________________________
- There were erratic fluctuations in Sterling’s exchange rate after the Brexit vote. ___________________________________________________
- The number of overseas students studying in the UK declined dramatically last year. ___________________________________________________
- The price of petrol is expected to increase sharply in 2017. ___________________________________________________
- The number of car owners decreased slightly in London in 2016. ___________________________________________________
1. The oil price fell significantly in 2014.
2. Unemployment increased dramatically last year.
3. Sterling’s exchange rate fluctuated erratically after the Brexit vote.
4. There was a dramatic decline in the number of overseas students studying in the UK last year.
5. There is expected to be a sharp increase in the petrol price in 2017.
6. There was a slight decrease in the number of car owners in London in 2016.