A-Z of common part 1 speaking topics
Part 1 of the Speaking Test is based around the examiner asking you questions about familiar, everyday topics. After the examiner has asked you for some personal information such as where you live, where you’re from or whether you work or you’re a student, you will be asked questions about TWO familiar topics.
Depending on how much time is left, the examiner will ask you up to FOUR questions on each topic. You may be prompted to add more information with the examiner asking “Why?” OR “Why not?”
The topics in the exam change regularly, but the format remains the same with the examiner asking you questions to obtain samples of language to assess.
All4ielts has compiled this A-Z list of Common Topics for Speaking Part 1 – although the topics often change in the exam, they are often recycled so by familiarising yourself with these topics and practising them on your own or with a friend, you can prepare yourself to talk with more confidence.
How to answer the questions
Q. How important is it to … / Is it important to …
A. I think that it’s really important to … because … / I think that it’s vital … because … / In my opinion, it’s important to … because … / I don’t think it’s very important to … because …
Q. How do you feel …
A. I feel …
Q. What kind of … are you most interested in?
A. I’m most interested in … / I’m really interested in …
Q. How often …
A. frequently … / regularly … / often … / sometimes … / once a week/month … / twice a week/month … / rarely … / hardly ever … / never …
Q. Would you like to …
A. Yes, I’d love to … because … / Yes, I’d really like to … because … / No, I wouldn’t like to … because …
Q. When do you …
A. On + day of the week / Every day / In my free time /At weekends
All4ielts: A-Z of Common Topics for Speaking Part 1
- Is there a lot of advertising in your country? (Why/why not?)
- Where can you normally see advertisements?
- What kind of adverts are you most interested in?
- How do adverts influence what you buy?
- How do people usually celebrate birthdays in your culture?
- How did you celebrate your last birthday?
- Which birthdays are most important in your country?
- What sort of presents do people give each other?
- What’s your favourite colour?
- Is colour important to you when buying clothes?
- Do any colours have a special meaning in your country?
- Is there any colour that you would not use in your home? (why not?)
Driving a car
- Do you drive a car?
- What sort of cars are most popular where you live?
- Do you think there are too many cars on the roads nowadays?
- Have you ever been on a long journey by car?
- How often do families eat together in your country?
- How important is it for families to eat together?
- What sort of cafes or restaurants are common where you live?
- Why is fast food so popular nowadays?
- What are the most popular free-time activities where you live?
- Do you prefer to spend your free-time with family or friends?
- Do you find it easy to relax? (why/why not?)
- Is it important to spend money to relax properly?
- Did you enjoy geography lessons at school? (why/why not?)
- Do you find it easy to find your way around?
- How important are map-reading skills these days?
- Have you ever asked anyone for directions?
- How do people usually help each other in your society?
- Has anyone ever helped you (what with)?
- When was the last time you helped somebody?
- Why is it important for young people to help older people?
- How much time do you spend online each day?
- What do you mainly use the Internet for?
- What applications (apps) do you use most often?
- How important is social media to you?
- Have you ever been on a long journey?
- What’s the best way to travel around your country?
- What’s the best season to go on a trip?
- Do you think you will go on more journeys in the future?
- Is it important to be on time in your culture? (Why/why not?)
- How do you feel when other people are late?
- Are you late very often?
- How do you feel when you’re late for something important?
Letters and emails
- How often do you write letters or emails?
- Who do you usually write to?
- What do you find most difficult about writing letters or emails?
- Do you think people will still write letters in the future?
- What sort of music is most popular in your country?
- What kind of music do you like to listen to?
- Did you learn to play a musical instrument when you were a child?
- How important is it to keep traditional music alive?
- How important to you is to keep up-to-date with the news?
- How do you usually find out about the news?
- What types of newspapers popular where you live?
- Are people in your country more interested in local or international news?
- What outdoor activities are popular in your country?
- What are your favourite outdoor activities?
- How much time do you spend outdoors each week?
- Do people spend enough time outdoors nowadays?
- How often do you take photographs?
- What do you like taking photos of?
- Is it better to use a camera or a phone to take photos?
- Would you like to learn more about how to take photographs?
- How important is it to have a university education nowadays?
- Do you need a university degree to get a job?
- Is experience sometimes more important than qualifications?
- Is it better to study face-to-face or online?
- What kinds of things do you often have to read?
- What types of books are most popular in your country?
- Is it better to use an e-reader or to read a real book?
- Will paper books still be published in the future?
- Do you have a favourite pair of shoes?
- Is it more important for shoes to be stylish or comfortable?
- How often do you buy new shoes?
- Have you ever bought shoes from an online shop? (why/why not?)
- Did (Do) you have a favourite school teacher?
- Was (Is) it important for you to like your teachers?
- Is teaching a well-paid job in your country? (why/why not?)
- Would you like to be a teacher? (why/why not?)
- Did (Do) you have to wear a uniform at school?
- How important is it for pupils to wear a uniform at school?
- What are some of the jobs where people have to wear a uniform?
- What are the advantages of wearing a uniform at work?
- Did you like vegetables when you were a child?
- Do you eat fresh vegetables every day?
- How important is it to eat fresh vegetables regularly?
- How easy is it to get fruit and vegetables where you live?
- How important are weekends to you?
- How do you usually spend your weekends?
- Do men and women do different things at weekends in your country?
- What are you planning to do next weekend?
- Did (Do) you enjoy mathematics lessons at school?
- Did (Do) you find maths easy or difficult to learn?
- How often do you use a calculator?
- How important is it to be good at maths nowadays?
Your favourite time of the year
- What’s your favourite time of the year? (Why?)
- What outdoor activities do people do at different times of the year?
- How do the different seasons affect your mood?
- Would you prefer to live in a hot or cold climate? (Why?)
- Have you ever visited a zoo?
- How popular are zoos where you live?
- Is it right to keep wild animals in cages?
- How important are zoos in preserving endangered species?